Post Viral Fatigue Chat & Forum

My recovery story from Post Viral Fatigue / Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / ME / CFS

A nutritionalist told me about these supplements on Tuesday.

<b>Colostrum
    </b>
    <a href="http://www.immunecare.co.uk/Immunecare-Colostrum.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.immunecare.co.uk/Immunecare-Colostrum.html</a>

"If Echinacea is a soldier fighting to keep the body’s immune system healthy, then Colostrum is a complete army. In fact, it has 37 immune factors and a dozen growth factors that help repair skin, bones, muscle and connective tissue to help keep our bodies young. Colostrum is arguably nature’s most effective immune system booster, the ‘first milk’ produced by dairy cows in the days immediately after calving, it has a high concentration of proteins with antibodies. Colostrum is completely transferable to humans hence we can enjoy the significant health benefits from this natural and potent protector.

It can help:
    Protect against colds, flu, ear, nose and chest infections
    Help heal wounds and minimise skin disorders
    Rid the body of viruses including Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, ME, Fibromyalgia and Glandular Fever
    Enhance fitness levels among athletes and speed up recovery
    Minimise the effects of autoimmune disorders including MS, Lupus, Scleroderma and Rheumatoid Arthritis
    Heal and protect against gastrointestinal disorders including IBS, Colitis, Leaky Gut, diarrhoea and Crohn’s Disease"

<b>Lactoferrin</b>

<a href="http://www.immunecare.co.uk/Immunecare-Lactoferrin.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.immunecare.co.uk/Immunecare-Lactoferrin.html</a>

"Lactoferrin can help guard against and prevent the onset of many infectious diseases and a wide variety of health disorders by supporting the body’s immune system in a unique and powerful way. Over 1150 studies in peer-reviewed medical and scientific journals show that oral supplementation with Lactoferrin can prevent the onset of infections and diseases caused by viruses, bacteria, fungal organisms and tumours. Lactoferrin has US FDA approval as a safe and non-toxic supplement (GRAS).

Lactoferrin has the following functions:

Anti-bacterial
    Lactoferrin kills many disease causing bacteria, whilst at the same time protecting and encouraging the body’s own good, vital gut flora. Lactoferrin is ideal for people who are either unable, or do not wish, to take traditional pharmaceutical antibiotics with all their attendant damaging side effects. Lactoferrin is a well researched, effective and safe natural alternative.

Anti-fungal:
    Lactoferrin kills a range of yeasts and fungi, and is very effective at killing the causative agent of Candida. It is also well known for its ability to kill gut parasites and lowers gut inflammation found in conditions such as Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s and Diverticulitis.

Anti-viral:
    Extensive research has shown that Lactoferrin can prevent viruses, even powerful ones such as HIV, CMV, Herpes Simplex and Hepatitis C from binding to the body’s healthy cells and therefore prevent viral infection. HIV patients are known to demonstrate a systemic lack of Lactoferrin.

Athletes find lactoferrin particularly useful in combating Glandular fever and other post-viral and over-training problems. It has also been shown to be effective in treating the Upper Respiratory Tract Infections (URTI’s) that can afflict athletes under heavy training loads. Lactoferrin is IOC friendly and FDA approved.

Anti-tumour:
    More than 16 studies have shown that Lactoferrin and related peptides have been shown to suppress tumour growth and prevent tumour formation. It has been used in conjunction with chemotherapy to reduce the number of infections due to weakening of the immune system. One study notes that Lactoferrin might become the drug of choice for the adjuvant therapy against pancreatic cancer’.

Anti-oxidant:
    The strong binding of iron by Lactoferrin prevents free iron from forming free radicals. Free radicals have been strongly implicated as a cause for many diseases and infections.
    Lactoferrin has been shown to help international athletes recover quickly form mystery blood viruses and Glandular fever."

I am seriously considering taking one of them.

Hi Helen,

I went on colostrum for a few months last year , it didnt cure my cfs and I didnt really feel any better with or without it .....

Its worth a try it might work for you.......

Sharon

Helen,

I did write to the lady at the Glandular Fever services and sent her my completed questionaire and a fee and she sent me a 52 page report with recommendations on food and supplements . I have purchased most of the supplements and I start my new routine next week.

Sharon

Hi Helen,

interesting to read these, in light of the fact that over the last two weeks i noticed that for me personally, i was developing some sort of lactose intolerance. I've been noticing that milk or milk products is contributing to the brain fog, and am 90% brain fog free if I stay away from dairy products....wish there was another way to get all of the benefits that are claimed by the like though.
    Dr Myhill's approach includes dietary changes as well, and one of the things she seems to advise staying away from is dairy products...I may be wrong though in my quotation or interpretration of her methods...so do check this out yourself.. But hey as the saying goes...one mans meat is another mans poison...and vice versa
    regards

Thats interesting smarsden.

What kind of things did the lady recommend?

Smiledr it says on the website it is ok for people with lactose intolerance (I guess they have taken the lactose protein out?) but not true dairy allergy

Are you taking those supplements Helen?
    I'm not taking any supplements alongside the anti-candida diet, although there are recommendations for a few different ones. I think I need to read up on it a bit more before deciding what to take x

I havent bought any yet, but I am definitely thinking about it.

At the moment I just take acidophilus, omega 369 and cherry active (for sleep) daily plus occasional B vits, vit C, echinacea.

I have ordered Quest -Enzyme Digest because I think my stomach struggles to digest food, even with this new diet it is struggling and I feel like in the middle of the night I often wake up with indigestion pains. I think it is why I often preferred processed food because it seems easier to digest than raw veg etc.

I am thinking about getting some anti-fungals to speed up getting rid of the candida, possibly Dida <a href="http://www.didacandidasupplement.co.uk/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.didacandidasupplement.co.uk/</a>

I am not sure where you heard it doesnt last more than a year. PVF/CFS/M.E can last for years and years

I think there are several people who have been on here/had it longer, I am just a pretty frequent post-er because health and wholeness fascinates me.

I have had chronic fatigue syndrome 18 months, they call it post-viral fatigue syndrome up until the six month point, then call it chronic fatigue syndrome. Cfs can go on for years and years, as "trapped" stated, and some people have it for life.

I have gone from 10% of my normal self up to 60%, so yes there has been a fair bit of progress, but I am doing all I can to try to push further, as have been stuck at about 60% for 6 months and feel that if I can just get 10% better I will be able to get back into work.

I think I have had it for as long as I have due to having 2 bad viruses, rather than one, this can really set the body back. Also if, as I am currently wondering, I have had candidiasis for years, then this would be affecting my immune system and stomach, affecting its ability to absorb nutrients.